santa claus cake
You need this:
- 500 grams whole grain buckwheat flour
- 250 grams oat flour (grind oats into flour in a blender)
- a teaspoon of vanilla bourbon
- two heaping tablespoons of greensweet extra sweet
- 15 drops of greensweet liquid stevia chocolate
- two large bananas, finely mashed
- hot water
For the garnish:
- blond mulberries
- two dried organic unsulphured apricots
- a beaten egg or half a banana, mashed with a little water (*for vegans)
This is how you make it:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Stir all the ingredients for the cake together in a bowl, adding a little water at a time until it becomes malleable. Knead the mass well and vigorously. Take a little bit of the dough and roll it into a ball. This is the tip of the hat.
Again, pull two small parts out of the dough. These are for the brim of the hat and mustache.
Pour the rest of the dough onto the baking tray and press out with your palms. Shape it into a pointed top, and fold over a piece of the tip. Press the ball at the end, as the end of the hat. Roll one edge for the hat from one reserved part and press it onto the top of the dough. Press mulberries into the edge. Flatten the remaining piece of dough slightly and cut notches in it with scissors. Cut the lower part of the dough on the plate as well, so that a “beard” is created. Press the mustache on top.
Round out the apricots and press them into the dough like eyes. Brush Santa with the beaten egg or, if vegan, the banana mixture. Bake the Santa Claus cake in the middle of the oven until golden brown.
You can add many other goodies to the batter, such as biscuit / speculaas / chewy herbs, Ceylon cinnamon, aniseed powder or seeds, nuts and kernels.
Source/photo: Monique van der Vloed